October 11, 2010

Boys Will Be Boys

The start of October was a little crazy for us! Zach finally had surgery on his wrist that he broke back in high school during football season. Initially after it happened he had X-rays taken, but the tech told him it wasn't broken, so Zach left it at that. I was surprised he never got a second opinion since he hasn't been able to flex his wrist and he said it hurt most of the time. It took it getting re-injured to get a second look at it. Of course he was playing a sport when it happened! During his softball game he dove for a ball and rolled up on it. After that, it started to swell pretty bad and he thought he'd just go get it checked out. The doctor told him not only had it been broken all these years, but because it was neglected, parts of the bone were dead and he had developed arthritis in areas. The doctor didn't waste any time in scheduling a surgery. It was set for the following Monday (Oct. 4).



That morning we checked into the hospital around 9:30am. They took us back to get him hooked up to an IV and then finally took him back for surgery around 11:30am. They said it would take about three hours, and it did, plus they gave him so much medicine that he didn't start to wake up until about 3:30pm- when I came in to see him. Even then, the effects of the anesthesia hadn't quite worn off yet and the one time he muffled something was that he felt sick so the nurse gave him anti-nausea medicine and it put him back to sleep. We didn't end up leaving the hospital until 6pm and he was still way out of it. It's been over two weeks since the surgery and he finally had the surgical bandages and sling replaced today for a hard cast that he has to keep on for 3 months! We snagged a picture of his sweet incision before the doctor covered it up. It's pretty nasty! So for the next little while I have to help Zach with a lot cause he just has one arm to work with. Lucky for him it's not his dominant arm so he's able to function with the basic daily activities.


I failed to mention that Zach was eager to play a "fun" game of football the Saturday before his surgery. I warned him not to get hurt messing around so of course he shows up 3 hours later with a sprained ankle. I don't know why boys have to try and re-live high school athletics all over again. Those games get taken a little too seriously, but there's no stopping them. I guess boys will be boys!

1 comment:

  1. I am so sad for Zach's wrist! I didn't know it was so bad. We need to get together soon so we can sign Zach's cast. haha, we miss you guys.

    ReplyDelete